Many of my clients express anxiety about Alzheimer’s Disease (AD). And I don’t have a geriatric practice! But this fear can span all age groups and particularly affects women as both patients and caregivers. The thought of significant cognitive decline can spark deep anxiety – not just because we the fear loss of qualities that make us…well, “us,” but because we may feel helpless in the face of it.
Tools to Fight Cognitive Decline
But are we really helpless? Recent research suggests otherwise! While we don’t have a complete understanding of what causes cognitive decline, promising early studies indicate that using a multi-factor approach can stem its progression or even reverse mild cases. One protocol, developed and tested by Dr. Bresden at UCLA, focuses on treating Alzheimer’s more like a chronic, manageable disease. And many of the tools can be found in your own kitchen!
Bresden Protocol: Multiple Levers
The Bresden premise is that the combined effect of many tactics is key; his protocol employs 36 potential “levers,” customized according to the specific needs of the patient, including1:
- Reduce inflammation with an anti-inflammatory diet and supplements
- Understand and optimize nutrient levels, including: B12, B5, D3, K2, antioxidants, Zinc:Copper ratio, and more
- Improve gut health
- Include cognitive enhancement elements, such as Omega-3 fatty acids
- Optimize hormone balance
- Address any heavy metal toxicity and sleep disturbances identified
- Enhance the body’s own clean-up mechanisms, by incorporating a 12 hour fast overnight
- Reduce stress, possibly by yoga or meditation, and incorporate regular exercise
The good news is that these steps will reduce your risk not just for Alzheimer’s, but for many chronic diseases.
How You Can Reduce Your Risk for Cognitive Decline
Now, where to begin? A good start is to schedule an overall integrative health evaluation that includes an understanding of your functional status for key nutrients and looks at other predictive parameters – if you have this in place, you’re already ahead of the game! The next step is to optimize a food, lifestyle, and supplement plan specific to your needs. We can help!
Contact me to learn more about how to reduce your risk, today!
Sharon Price, M. S. Nutrition